Employment & Volunteering
Socrates Sculpture Park is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. The Park is committed to building a culturally diverse community and strongly encourages applications from candidates from underrepresented communities.
Socrates Sculpture Park, an internationally renowned outdoor exhibition space and artist residency program that also serves as a cultural anchor and public park in Long Island City, Queens, is currently seeking an experienced, independent, and energetic Communications Manager to join a small, dedicated staff to assist and promote its mission and programs.
The Communications Manager is a full-time position focused on raising the organization’s visibility and managing external and internal communications. The position reports directly to the Director of Development & Communications.
Primary Responsibilities include:
- Create marketing strategies to promote the Park’s programmatic initiatives and grow our digital audience
- Generate marketing copy to pair with existing visual assets to promote the Park’s exhibitions & public programs across digital channels, including email, Instagram, Facebook & Twitter
- Monitor and engage with the Park’s online audiences on distinct digital platforms, including responding to inquiries
- Manage production of all public-facing print and digital materials in partnership with an external design firm, including signage, brochures, and the Park’s seasonal calendar
- Produce occasional digital and print graphics for marketing and social media purposes
- Manage Park’s website, including collecting and editing copy and images for all programs and events
- Oversee all images and photography for the Park, including booking photographers for exhibitions/events and maintaining the Park’s archive of visual assets
- Manage all internal communications, including communicating with appropriate staff about upcoming events and inquiries
- Draft all press releases and other relevant copy about Park updates
- Maintain press list and track all press outreach
- In consultation with the Director of Development & Communications, manage and maintain all mailing lists in eTapestry CRM and Mailchimp
- Manage Board communications, including contact list, drafting correspondence, and helping prepare for Board Meetings
- Maintain proper donor crediting across exhibition and program collateral
- Work with the Director of Development & Communications on selected activities, including preparing reports and proposals to foundations and other institutional donors, and ongoing prospect research and cultivation efforts
- At least three years of communications experience; past work at a visual arts non-profit organization or art museum is a plus
- A passion for contemporary art and public engagement
- Experience managing deadlines and maintaining many projects simultaneously
- Strong attention to detail, including proofreading, with excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience working front-facing events, as well as demonstrated understanding of communications best practices, especially as it relates to email and social media
- Fluency in Adobe Creative Suite, eTapestry (or similar CRM), WordPress (or similar CMS), social platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram), and Mailchimp
This is a full time position with a salary range of $50,000 – $60,000 (commensurate with experience). Socrates offers a competitive benefits package that includes a 401K match and full health care coverage.
Interested and qualified candidates should submit cover letter, resume, and two references (one PDF document preferred) with “Communications Manager” in the subject line to: Julia Metro, Director of Development & Communications at firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls please. Position will remain open until filled.
We welcome assistance from volunteers throughout our programmatic season (May – October). From staffing special events to working alongside our teaching artists, Socrates volunteers are crucial to our programming success. If you are interested in volunteer opportunities, please email email@example.com