Employment & Volunteering
Socrates Sculpture Park is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. The Park is committed to building a culturally diverse community and strongly encourages applications from candidates from underrepresented communities.
Director of Public Programs & Engagement
Posted June 3, 2021
The Director of Public Programs and Engagement is a critical senior position that will play a strategic role in the organization’s engagement with one of the most diverse areas in the country – Long Island City/Astoria, Queens. As a lead member of the staff, the position will work closely with the Executive Director and all staff on all aspects of community engagement, event planning and public programming in the Park.
Socrates currently has over 50 various partners that work with the Park on a myriad of programs including 4-5 large scale community day events, healthy living activities and classes, artist performances and programs, music and dance performances, and an annual Gala.
The Director of Public Programs and Engagement will report directly to the Executive Director and will work closely with Curator, Director of Education and Director of Operations. This position will also supervise part-time/seasonal staff.
Primary Responsibilities include:
- Develop and implement short and long-term strategic plans for community engagement, programs and events in conjunction with Executive Director and staff
- Responsible for building and managing external relationships with partner organizations and individuals
- Supervise and implement all public programming in the Park
- Hire and manage part-time and seasonal staff for events and programs
- Develop and manage all aspects of public programming budget and administrate payments for related expenses and part-time/seasonal staff
- Represent Socrates with external organizations in the neighborhood including the community board, NYCHA Astoria Houses and other local organizations
- Planning and execution of the annual Fall Gala event
- Work with NYC Parks Dept. on permitting for events and performances
- Work closely with communications staff on all written description of events, planning seasonal calendar and social media outreach
- Minimum of a BA preferably in the arts or community organizing related
- 2-3 years proven track record of organizing, managing and executing public programming, preferably within a non-profit environment
- Public speaking experience
- Ability to balance multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment, including excellent communication and relationship-building skills
- Personal qualities of integrity, detail-oriented, team-building, motivational enthusiasm and dedication to the mission of Socrates Sculpture Park
- All events and programs occur outdoors and candidate must enjoy working in a park setting in varying weather conditions
Work Hours and Schedule:
Full-time / Monday – Friday / 10:00am – 6:00pm. Seasonally from May to October, the position requires flexible hours for events occurring on weekends and occasional evenings.
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, salary expectations, and three references (as one PDF document preferred) with “Director of Public Programs and Engagement” in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Socrates offers a competitive salary and benefits package that includes a 401K match and full health care coverage.
No phone calls please. Position will remain open until filled.
We welcome assistance from volunteers throughout our programmatic season (May – October). From staffing special events to working alongside our teaching artists, Socrates volunteers are crucial to our programming success. If you are interested in volunteer opportunities, please email email@example.com