Employment & Volunteering
Socrates Sculpture Park is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. The Park is committed to building a culturally diverse community and strongly encourages applications from candidates from underrepresented communities.
Posted: October 7, 2020
Applications due: October 19, 2020
Start Date: December 1, 2020
Socrates Sculpture Park is seeking a Curatorial Assistant to work closely with the Curator and staff on the development, management and administration of visual arts exhibitions at the park. The position is supervised by the Curator.
Responsibilities and scope of work for the position:
• The Curatorial Assistant’s responsibilities include: exhibition development, administration of artist fellowships, management of exhibition publication Monuments Now to completion (will be 75% complete) and distribution
• Exhibition development duties include: checklist development, artist relations, production development, installation planning, and development of public programs and digital content related to exhibitions
• Administration duties include: artist correspondence, letters of agreement, digital asset management, processing grant payments and miscellaneous support of general office work
• Publication duties include: Tracking image files for publication, obtaining rights and high-resolution files for image reproductions, maintaining central publication timeline, organizing and implementing publication distribution plan and
• Degree in Art History, Curatorial Studies, Cultural History, Architecture or Fine Art
• Interest in and familiarity with public art a plus
• Well-organized, detail oriented, and demonstrating excellent planning and implementation skills
• Strong written and verbal skills
• Must be proactive, an independent problem solver, able to anticipate needs on projects, and able to track and meet multiple deadlines
• Ability to work collaboratively within a small staff environment
This is a part time position at a rate of $2,500 a month for 3 days a week, paid bi-weekly for 7 months totaling $18,800 for the term. Benefits for the position are vacation and personal days.
Term and Hours:
The position is part time exempt for three days a week. Specific weekdays TBD with candidate schedule and Socrates’s needs. Position is 7 months from December 1, 2020 through June 30, 2021. Individual can work remotely and at the office. Must be available for on-site and be at the park for specific events, public programs and meetings.
We welcome assistance from volunteers throughout our programmatic season (May – October). From staffing special events to working alongside our teaching artists, Socrates volunteers are crucial to our programming success. If you are interested in volunteer opportunities, please email email@example.com